'Tis the week of Stacey detoxing on salads and whole grains.
No alcohol and no sweets. I do it every year after the holidays because I feel so sluggish from all the eating and drinking during the holiday season.
I will try and post a healthy meal for the next few days (notice the word "try").
This is an unusual combination of ingredients, but it worked and was fabulous.
Tomatoes are not in season in NJ, however, I used heirloom cherry tomatoes from the grocery store. I found the recipe on Eileen's blog from August.
This salad is a keeper, and will be great during the summer months, when tomatoes are plentiful.
Orange, Tomato & Avocado Salad (adapted from Living Tastefully):
• 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
• 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 avocados, large dice
• 2 tomatoes, preferably heirloom, cut into large dice
• 2 oranges, peeled and sliced into thick rounds (I used clementines)
• 1 small red onion, sliced into rings
• 10 to 12 black olives, pitted
• 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
• salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Whisk together the lemon juice and extra-virgin olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Gently toss the diced avocados and tomatoes with half of the lemon juice-olive oil vinaigrette.
2. Arrange the orange slices on a platter. Scatter the red onion slices over the oranges and drizzle with the remaining half of the vinaigrette.
3. Spoon the avocados and tomatoes on top of the oranges. Top with black olives and almonds.
Not only is this a delicious salad, but it is a healthy & cholesterol lowering meal.......it has nuts, olives, avocado, and fruit. What could be better?
PS: Happy Birthday to my handsome husband! He will be on the detox diet with me this week!