2 hours ago
Tuesday, August 18, 2009
It's hot & humid out there.
That's all I really wanted to complain about today.
To beat the heat, I made a refreshing peach & tomato salsa from Living Tastefully, and served it with grilled swordfish.
Light and refreshing for the dog days of August.
Peach & Tomato Salsa:
• 1 pound tomatoes, heirloom if possible
• 2 ripe, unpeeled peaches, cut into 1/4-inch dice
• 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
• 2 tablespoons finely shredded basil
• 1 jalapeno pepper, finely minced
• 4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
• 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (I used less)
• fine sea salt to taste
• freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a large bowl, gently toss together the diced tomatoes, peaches, red onion, basil, jalapeno, balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Add the sea salt and pepper to taste. Eat immediately.
Now on to cocktails........here is my new favorite summer drink.
A Cucumber Cooler.
Here is how to make it:
3 parts gin (I like Bombay Sapphire or Hendricks)
1 part 7-up (not diet!)
1 small Persian cucumber, peeled and sliced thin
1 sprig of mint
squeeze of a lime
Muddle about 4 cucumber slices just a bit (sort of like mushing them) at the bottom of a highball glass.
Pour in your gin (you don't have to make it as strong as I like it!) and mix with soda over ice.
Squeeze your lime and throw in a big sprig of mint.
Happy & cool.