I renamed this recipe for the Garden State (yes, New Jersey is the Garden State.....we are not just an exit number), because we are famous for our peaches and blueberries this time of year.
This has to be the EASIEST cake I have ever made, and it was delicious.
There is no butter or oil in the recipe so it has little fat, yet it was so moist!
I found this recipe on photograzing posted by Mango & Tomato, and I will be making it again in the fall with apples.
It was that good!
Perfect Jersey Summer Cake: (adapted from Mango & Tomato)
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon yogurt
½ lemon, zested
2 ripe Jersey peaches, cored, sliced
1 cup Jersey blueberries
I liked how the gal baked this cake in a ceramic casserole dish.
It came out like a round loaf of bread.
Very nice touch.
1) Preheat the oven to 375F.
2) In a large bowl beat 3 eggs.
3) Add 1 cup of sugar to the egg mixture and blend together.
4) Pour 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda into white vinegar - the two ingredients will react and bubble - add to the bowl with eggs and sugar and mix.
5) Slowly incorporate the flour into the above mixture.
6) Add 1 tablespoon of yogurt and the zest of 1/2 lemon to the batter and mix.
7) Carefully incorporate peach slices and blueberries.
8) Spray a baking dish (I used 1.5 quart souffle dish) with oil or butter the dish.
9) Pour the batter into the baking dish and bake 45-50 minutes (it all depends on how deep your dish is: the cake is ready when a toothpick comes out dry).
10) Let the cake cool, and flip onto a serving plate.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Easy and delish!
41 minutes ago